I thought it’d be a good idea to post a prom makeup tutorial since that time of year is coming right around the corner! This is prom look 1 of 2, I will be posting another tutorial next Monday that is completely opposite of this look just to jazz things up! 🙂 I hope you all enjoy!
This looks includes a smokey cat eye, strongly contoured cheeks, and a nice nude lip.
1. I start off by putting Silky Caramel eyeshadow by Mary Kay in the crease of my eye with an Ecotools Eyeshadow Brush. A transition color really just makes it so much easier to blend all the colors out.
2. Next I use the same brush to apply a bronzer in the shade Sunkiss by Glominerals right on top of Silky Caramel. Yes, I use a bronzer as an eyeshadow, but, hey! It does the job! Applying these neutral matte colors before the darker colors gives the look more depth and makes things easier to blend out. Also, I switched eyes, because my right eyebrow drives me nuts…
4. I’m going to be honest, Tease didn’t do it for me, so I applied yet ANOTHER COLOR in my crease with, again, the same brush. This time I use the darkest color in the Maybelline New York quad in Copper Chic.
5. Now I take the color Blackout from the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette. I put this color in the outer v of my eye. I blend this out carefully, with my EcoTools brush, so there are no harsh lines. I also put this color close to my lash line, almost using it as an eyeliner.
6. Finally I go in with a shimmer eyeshadow! I’m using a Luminous Shadow by Victoria’s Secret in Go Platinum. I put this color in the very middle of my eye with the applicator that comes with the shadow. Then, I focus on blending the product to the outer part of my eye, with a really small no name brush. I keep the inner part free for the highlight.
7. Now I’m going to highlight my eye with the lightest shade in the Maybelline New York palette. I placed this color on my brow bone and the inner corner of my eye. Again, I use a really small no name brush. I’m going to invest in a real highlighting brush. I seriously have no idea where this brush came from.
8. Now that we’re done with the eyeshadow portion of this look, I use the Maybelline Line Stiletto liquid eyeliner in Blackest Black to achieve the cat eye look.
- First, I line my upper lash line with a thin line.
- To achieve the outer wing, I place the wand at the outer corner of my eye and draw a diagonal line towards my temple. I then put the wand at the end of the line I just drew and bring it back to meet the eyeliner at my lash line. Finally, I fill it in!
- The inner corner is super easy to achieve. I just draw a line that extends from my inner corner to my nose, and then draw another line back to my lower lash line, and fill the little triangle in!
9. So now I use the L’oreal Infallible eyeliner in black to line my top and bottom waterlines. (Side Note: It’s impossible for me to apply eyeliner in my waterlines without making my eyes watery!!!! Any tips?)
10. To fill my lower lash line, I put the darkest Maybelline shade (which I also used in my crease) in the inner lower lash line and Blackout by Urban Decay near the outer corner with the applicator that comes with the quad (I use the pencil side).
Here’s the whole look! I applied BareMinerals bareSkin foundation all over my face with the BareMinerals Perfecting Face Brush. I strongly contoured my cheeks and forehead with the glo minerals bronzer I used in my crease and put L’oreal lipstick in shade 800-Fairest Nude and Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Hibiscus on my lips for a nice nude look! Finally, I tamed my eyebrows with Maybelline’s sculpting brow mascara called Brow Drama in Deep Brown. REMEMBER: You can alter this look in any way you want to fit your needs! These are just my suggestions!
Stay tuned! I’m putting up another Prom Makeup Tutorial next Monday! Please comment if you have any suggestions for future posts or post a picture of your rendition of this look!
Can’t wait to talk to you guys next week!
And please follow me!!
- Eyeshadow (crease): Mary Kay; Silky Caramel | Similar | Similar | Similar
- Eyeshadow (crease): glo minerals bronzer; Sunkiss | Similar | Similar
- Eyeshadow (crease, all over the lid): Urban Decay; Tease
- Side Note: The picture on the website makes this color look soo much more purple than it actually is.
- Eyeshadow (outer V, upper lash line, lower lash line): Urban Decay; Blackout
- Eyeshadow: Maybelline Eye Studio Color Plush; Copper Chic
- lightest shade: brow bone and inner corner
- darkest shade: crease and lower lash line
- Pigment (center of lid): Go Platinum; Luminous Shadow Victoria’s Secret Beauty Rush | Similar; Mac Silver pigment
- Uh, I don’t think they make this anymore, which makes me so sad! I really like it!
- Liquid Liner: Maybelline Line Stiletto; Blackest Black | Similar
- Kohl eyeliner (lower and upper water line): L’oreal Infallible Never Fail Eyeliner; Black
- Mascara: Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara; Black
- Brows: Maybelline sculpting brow mascara/Brow Drama; Deep Brown | Similar
- Eyes: Ecotools; Full Eye Shadow Brush | Similar; Sigma E40 | Similar; Mac 217 | Similar; Mac 224
- Foundation: BareMinerals; bareSkin Perfecting Face Brush | Similar; Sigma F80 | Morphe G6
- Contour: Nars; Kabuki Ita Brush | Similar